How can I be sure I have periodontitis or gingivitis?

This is a question that only your periodontist can answer with certainty. What everybody should know though, is that  gum bleeding is pathologic and not a normal situation  and when it happens you should see a periodontist or at least a general dentist.

In some other cases you might see receeding gums, bad breathing, tooth mobility or you might even notice that your teeth moved. In all these cases you need a periodontal consult.