What is the treatment for periodontitis?
The periodontal treatment can vary depending on how far the disease has progressed. So after the initial periodontal examination, your periodontist will work with you to determine the best treatment option to bring back the periodontal health in your mouth.
In most cases the periodontal treatment starts with proper oral hygiene instructions and a special "cleaning" of the roots that is called scaling and root planing. In some cases there might be need for a surgical approach in certain areas of the mouth.
After the fulfilment of the periodontal therapy amd in order to maintain the periodontal health that has been achieved, the periodontist will regularly re-evaluate your gums. At these re-evaluation visits your mouth will be examined for signs of new disease and the new calculus and plaque that have built up will be removed.
Frequently Asked Questions- Periodontology
- What is periodontitis?
- What is gingivitis?
- How can I be sure I have periodontitis or gingivitis?
- My dentist feels that I should see a specialist because I have gum disease, but I feel nothing and my gums do not bleed. Is it possible that I still have periodontitis?
- What is the difference between a periodontist and a general dentist?
- What causes periodontitis?
- Is periodontitis contagious?
- I am a smoker and I won't quit. Will I still benefit from the treatment of periodontitis?
- My dentist always told me I have good teeth and now my teeth are falling. How can this happen?
- Can you have periodontitis treated?
- What is the treatment for periodontitis?
- What toothpaste and what mouthwash should I use if I have periodontitis?
- Will I be in pain during the periodontitis treatment?
- Will I be in pain after the periodontal treatment? Will I be able to eat normally?
- How long does the periodontal treatment last?
- What will happen if I don't have the periodontitis treated?
- I have periodontitis and I need treatment, but I also need some new fillings, crowns and root canal treatments. What should I have taken care of first?
- How can I prevent periodontitis?
- I had periodontal treatment in the past, but now my gums have the disease again and I am frustrated. This disease never goes?
- After the fulfilment of the periodontal treatment, will I still need to see the periodontist or will I be able to have dental cleanings with my dentist?